1. Re: Speakers for Editing

Subject: 1. Re: Speakers for Editing
From: "Greg Simmons" simmosonics
Date: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:15 am ((PDT))
--- In  Lou Judson <> wrote:

>  So I always use a spectrum analyser to
> see things I may not hear <snip>

I'm with you on this, Lou.

I moved out of the controlled sonic environment of the professional recordi=
ng studio some years ago, and have since found that a good spectrum analyse=
r is essential. Most audio software has some kind of analyser to show what =
I can't hear on smaller speakers.

One thing I am fond of doing it is using a low pass filter to remove everyt=
hing *but* that questionable low frequency energy, and then crank it up in =
my headphones and/or speakers to see if I can identify what it is. Very rar=
ely can I relate it to the valuable information in the recording itself. So=
 then I remove it using a good linear-phase high pass filter. And even if I=
 can't really hear that low frequency stuff, removing it often seems to cle=
an up the recording.

Certainly, for my purposes there is usually nothing of value below 40Hz. Ap=
art from being mostly man-related rumble, most listeners can't reproduce it=
 properly anyway and, even if they can, won't notice it missing. So I usual=
ly get rid of that stuff without a second thought... But I'll always use a =
linear-phase filter with a very steep slope, so there is no obvious LF roll=
-off.