First post--Need Some Advice

Subject: First post--Need Some Advice
From: "" miatadrumhawk
Date: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:06 pm ((PST))
I am trying to determine what digital recorder to purchase and I would
appreciate anyone's thoughts or opinions.

I produce a birdwatching podcast and do a lot of field recording.  I have
been using the PMD670 for the past couple of years but I no longer have
access to it and would love to move to something a bit smaller.   Most of
the time I am doing one-on-one interviews with a Beyer M58.  But, two or
three times a year I do need the capacity to do an extended interview with
two mics on stands.

I am never recording anything like classical music or bird sounds, so I
don't need the most quiet unit available.  But I've heard so much negativity
about the pre-amps in the Zoom H-4 that I have ruled that unit out.  I also
don't need all the "studio" bells and whistles that unit seems to be
designed for.

*       I would love XLR inputs.but that doesn't appear to be possible for
my budget.
*       I really feel I do need a limiter as I have often had to record
quickly and not always been able to set levels as carefully as I would have
liked.
*       I need to be able to record in wavfiles 44.1
*       Would prefer SD cards as opposed to memory sticks or some
proprietary  format
*       Want to be able to record in Mono
*       Probably won't be using the internals mics much at all, but am
interested in playing with them.

The machines I have it narrowed down to include the Marantz PMD620, the
Olympus LS-10, and perhaps the Marantz PMD 660.   They all have their pluses
and minuses.so your opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: