Re: many happy subscribers

Subject: Re: many happy subscribers
From: "John Hartog" hartogj
Date: Tue May 27, 2008 11:41 pm ((PDT))
Martyn,

I think the new splinter group restricted to non-gear topics is a an
excellent idea. It will be an interesting exercise, and I am sure it
will bring some fresh perspectives, and it might even as you seem to
be suggesting bring back some old voices, and topics we have not heard
from in a while.

However, I think you are wrong where you say, "Lots of members don't
care for the tech talk, you were not part of the group in the
beginning, there was far less talk on new gear...."

Anyone can search the archives back to the beginning and read what
things were like then. I just did a sampling of the archive and what I
find is there was never a time like you describe when there was less
emphasis on gear. "Tech talk" has been the main focus of discussions
from the very beginning. And also from the near beginning, to some
members it has always been bothersome to wade through their emails to
find the topic they are actually interested in reading.

There have been changes though. The primary one is the  group has
grown to much greater numbers - as I write now 1482 members strong.
And when the new splinter becomes popular, it too may grow big enough
again we will likely see a dropout of some of those originally
dedicated who become tired of sorting through all their emails to find
the thread they are actually interested in. And then it may be time
for another splinter.

John Hartog