Re: Hi-MD failure

Subject: Re: Hi-MD failure
From: "John Hartog" hartogj
Date: Sat May 10, 2008 11:00 am ((PDT))
> It is safer that way for all media, but MD is possibly the most
> fragile as the mechanism is designed for recording and playing, not
> for random access and file naming. It also leaves you with the
> original on the MD in case of problems IN the computer...

Good advice, Lou.

However with HiMD the original on the disc is not left alone. Sonic
Stage messes with the data on the disc as soon as begins to transfer -
renaming tracks, noting what has been uploaded already, and changing
other TOC information. Maybe they changed that in the RH1, but I have
pretty much given up on Hi-MD, because I have lost too much data
between corrupted discs and Sonic Stage frustrations.

The final straw was while trying to recover data from disc with a read
error problem: after trying all my usual tricks, I decided to try
upgrading to the then latest version of sonic stage. The new version
automatically reformatted the disc thus erasing all eight hours of a
fairly important recording.

Oh well, for now I'm back to my old MD Sony MZ-N707 while I wait for
the next best answer to a low cost, ultra portable recorder with
excellent mic preamps, supplying plug-in-power, and most importantly
standard file formats and drag and drop transfer.

John Hartog