Re: Pistol grip , shock mount , and windscreen opinions

Subject: Re: Pistol grip , shock mount , and windscreen opinions
From: "Phil Tyler" macmang4125
Date: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:33 am ((PDT))
Hi

I use two ME66's both with Rycote Softie's on them.

The Softies seem to be very good in quite strong wind and I would have no p=
roblem in
recommending them.

I use the Rode shock-mounts myself rather than a pistol grip, with a short =
extension
screwed into the mount to act as a handle. (It was the cheapest and I think=
 most versatile
option). Or as I now have two ME66's I use a stereo-bar with two of the Rod=
e shock-
mounts, one each end, and a short extension in the middle to act a s a hand=
le. Some foam
can be used to make the grip more comfortable if you like. The beauty of th=
is set up is it
can be taken apart into its components and packed in a rucksack or shoulder=
 bag for easy
transportation. It takes no time to attach the two shock-mounts and the sho=
rt extension
when you want to start recording.

Phil

--- In  "William Ruscher Jr." <=
.> wrote:

> I was recently able to pick up a used Sennheiser ME66/K6 package that
> included a Lightwave EQ 106 windscreen, that I plan to use this
> spring, in the field.
> First, I would like to please ask opinions on the performance of the
> Lightwave EQ windscreen, by any members that have used it, or have
> any info on it.
> I've also been trying to decide between several pistol grip /shock
> mount combos ,to use with the ME66/K6 and Lightwave windscreen in the
> field.
> I was thinking that the Rycote Softie (medium size shockmount) with
> pistol grip, would work well.  I have heard good things on this group
> and on various birding forums, about it. Looking at pictures on the
> web, I am thinking that it will fold down for storage (by the angle
> ajustment knob(?))so that I can carry it in my equipment backpack on
> hikes, although the description of the Rycote does not specify this
> on the websites that I've visited. I have also considered the
> Reinhardt pistol grip/ shockmount that is more expensive, but has 3
> shock mounts included for small, medium, and large diameter shotgun
> mics, and a soft gel material built in the pistol grip for less hand
> fatigue, while holding. Has anyone used one of these grips ?  Either
> one of these grips/mounts will beat what I have been using (a mini
> ultrapod with the folded legs wrapped in foam pipe insulation).
> Thanks in advance for any opinions.... that will certainly help me to
> decide.
>
> Best Regards to All,
>
> Bill

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: