Re: Pistol grip , shock mount , and windscreen opinions

Subject: Re: Pistol grip , shock mount , and windscreen opinions
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:38 am ((PDT))
Posted by: "William Ruscher Jr."

> Walt, I enjoyed your website. Your stereo setups and great sounding
> recordings have got me thinking about how my Philippine toad chorus
> and cicada recordings would have sounded in stereo. I am hoping to
> get out and find some W Chorus Frogs (and other species) this early
> spring here in NY. I'm wondering if the Iroquois NWR here would allow
> me to record within the refuge after dark, and I'm going to give them
> a call. I'll use my mono setup for this season, and probably order
> the Rycote pistol grip/shockmount for the ME66, due to budget
> restrictions. The Sennheiser stereo mount with the zeppelin cover is
> something I'll think about in the future.

Note the Sennheiser mounts on my M/S page are not stereo ones, but just
the regular mono setup with the two mics mounted inside. Note that won't
work with the Rycote modular system, can't get the two mics to suspend
properly inside the rings.  Only stereo mount on that page is the
MKH-80s in the Rycote.  That's the size of a small watermelon.
Eventually I'll make a new setup for those.

Stereo has huge advantages with the frogs here. There can be as many as
eight species calling in different locations in a wetland here.  Stereo
allows you to localize them. It also gives a different location for that
unwanted noise than your callers.  With mono everything is jumbled in
one spot together when you listen.