Re: at3032 LF "growl"

Subject: Re: at3032 LF "growl"
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sun Mar 2, 2008 8:52 am ((PST))
Hi Phil-
Sorry. I think I may have confused your application with the 3032's
and the Mix Pre and Paul's.

Phantom powering could be a factor, but Paul seems to be connecting
his mics directly to the HDP2. If so, we're getting down to unusual
suspects. It seems unlikely that both 3032's would arrive at his
doorstep with _matching_ poor frequency response. That leaves cables,
recorder/recorder settings and the mic rig as suspects. The high
frequencies could be attenuated by essentially "blanketing" the mics
with excessive wind protection, but this would be inconsistent with
the lack of mic self-noise (hiss) in Paul's sample.  I assume Paul's
HDP2 was at or near full mic preamp gain in that location.

Thanks for the nod about preserving low Hz content. In the sample we
are studying, the sonogram from Rich's "quiet" rural setting, shows
how much of the sound energy resides below 125Hz:
https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/type/public/media/RichAT3202_PaulAT3202.jpg

I suspect some recordists use the low cut filter to make it easier to
hear the high frequency content/calls in the field, but its possible
to bring home a fuller spectrum and still experience good monitoring
by using fully-enclosed headphones.  Sennheiser HD280 phones, for
example, cost $90USD and provide about 30dB attenuation. Of course,
the low frequencies can always be shaped in post. Rob D.

  = = = =