at3032 LF "growl"

Subject: at3032 LF "growl"
From: "Paul Jacobson" thebrunswicktwitcher
Date: Sat Mar 1, 2008 2:09 pm ((PST))
Hi All,

A few people have comments made about a LF growl in recordings I've
made with the AT3032's and was trying to isolate the causes of this.
I was initially thinking that it may be related to resonances in the
"curt clone" rig or more likely in the tripod I'm using.

However when I compared the spectrograms of Walt Knapp's SASS demo
recordings it appears that there appears to be a definite emphasis in
the AT3032 at around 100Hz.

http://madranis.home.mindspring.com/SASS_AT3032_home.mp3
http://madranis.home.mindspring.com/SASS_MKH20_home.mp3

I was thinking it might be due to the lack of shock mounting but the
MKH20 doesn't show any sign of emphasis in the same rig.  I'm curious
as to what could be causing this 100hz growl? Any thoughts??

cheers
Paul