Re: at3032 LF "growl"

Subject: Re: at3032 LF "growl"
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sun Mar 2, 2008 12:56 am ((PST))
Hi Paul--
Something could be astray.  Assuming your recording was made in a
rural location with only distant low frequency sound sources, the
response curve on your 3202's is quite different from Rich's AT3202
pair in a rural location with minimum low frequency sounds present. I
took a part from your clip with no filter and matched playback level
(RMS) with Rich's 3203's. His pair is on the left and comes first in
the sound clip:

https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/type/public/media/RichAT3202_PaulAT3202.jpg
https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/type/public/media/RichAT3202_PaulAT3203.wav

Your pair not only emphasizes lows and lower mids, it could be
lacking high frequencies.

My first thought is a possible impedance or component mis-match.  Do
I recall that you use an MP2?  What components are in your recording
rig and what are all of the settings you are using? Have I
characterized the location correctly? Could there be wind or other
pink noise-like sound source present where you recorded? With this
info we might be able to provide better guesses, but you may have to
compare the your AT3202's with other mics in the same spot at the
same time to get to the bottom of this. Rob D.

  = = = = =