Re: Barred owl call?

Subject: Re: Barred owl call?
From: "Romilly Hambling" oldgreybird
Date: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:16 pm ((PST))
A useful page of categorised Barred Owl calls is Bob Pearson's at

http://home.centurytel.net/bobowlcalls/Barred_Owl_calls.htm

Stan, listen to the female "whistle-screech" clip no. 18 some way down
the list. You may find the first two calls rather similar to what's on
your friend's clip.

I'm interested by this because Tawny Owl females do a very similar
call, which I call "wailing". This in spite of the fact that there's a
whole ocean between them and their American cousins. Here's an example
(720 kb):

http://tinyurl.com/2pl7gx

(from this page on my website:
www.godsownclay.com/TawnyOwls/Calls/tawnyowlcalls3.html
where there's some explanatory text for anyone who wants to know more.)

My recording made by a female we're very familiar with -- in fact she
and her mate are sitting out a 40 mph gale right now as I'm scribbling
this. They have my new Fostex fr-2le + tamiya batt pack sitting nearly
underneath them -- they'll probably not leave their roost area tonight
as it's far too rough. It's the first test with this RC pack and I'm
so hoping that Oryoki's experience of 17 hours plus on the mp3 setting
will be mine too!!! I'm using a 4,350 mAh pack.

romillyh

--- In  "Bruce" <> wrote:

> Yes Stan, that is a Barred Owl. The Barred Owl scream is one of the
> most misidentified sounds due to the lack of common descriptions in
> field guides. Texas A&M animal bio-acoustics department once went on
> record that this type of scream was in no way owl related, but ape-
> like, contributing it to a Bigfoot vocalization. The Barred Owl is
> one of my favorite owls due to their vast repertoire of sounds.
>
> Bruce Rutkoski
> Natureguy Studio
> www.natureguystudio.com
>

> --- In  "stancourtney"
> <stancourtney@> wrote:
> >
> > A friend sent me this sound clip.  To me the phrasing sounds like a
> > barred owl but it still sounds unusual.  I would be interested in
> > hearing other opinions.  Is this a barred owl?
> >
> > http://www.stancourtney.com/sounds/SouthCarolinaSound.wav
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Stan Courtney
> > Central Illinois

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: