Re: Nady DMP-2 phantom mic preamp

Subject: Re: Nady DMP-2 phantom mic preamp
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:34 pm ((PST))
>I connected the ME-66 to one leg of a Y-adaptor in recorder's mic-
>in...placed mic under pillows. At highest record level, meter showed
>20dB on mic'd channel... -35dB on the open channel (recorder's self
>noise).

Caution: an open mic input doesn't represent the recorder's
self-noise. It's usually considerably more noisy, and noisy in a
different flavor, than the input when properly terminated.

To hear a preamp's noise, terminate the input with a 150-ohm resistor
(for typical dynamic) or 2k ohms (for PIP electret capsules). Best to
make up a dummy XLR so the resistor is shielded, too.

>So I need to be willing to shell out for very quiet mics before
>expecting magic from super-quiet external pre-amps ???

Mic noise is significant, as taught by Rob and Klas. Quiet mics are a
must for quiet soundscapes.

-Dan Dugan