Re: Nady DMP-2 phantom mic preamp

Subject: Re: Nady DMP-2 phantom mic preamp
From: "Paul Slabaugh" texdig
Date: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:25 pm ((PST))
Thank you Rob, that's good info about gain requirements. I do not trust the=
 specs ...they're just too good and 50db gain is probably
into it's distortion levels... nice specs are likely measured at lower gain=
 settings. Incomplete info on this item is the deal killer. Manufacturer do=
esn't even list the product on their site anymore. Too fishy.

You ask, do I need pre-amps. Yes, I want line level to avoid the mic pre's =
in my Sony PCM D50 ...though their circuit noise has a smooth far off ocean=
 quality, it is very much there at high recording settings. Clean line leve=
ls would bump up that S/N ratio.  That is why  I am returning a $300 (overp=
riced!) BeachTek dual phantom xlr box because it is passive ...no amplifica=
tion. I just want clean amplification ...seems that paying extra mostly get=
s you extra non essential fluff on these devices. Until you pay enough for =
marketing fluff AND good circuit (Shure's or Sound Designs) the important s=
pecs just aren't that great.  I'd be happy with a clean circuit in a rusty =
can ...hobbyists build such circuits fairly cheap. This new recorder I have=
 takes care of the extras like limiting tremendously well as it simultaneou=
sly records lower level  tracks and instantly uses them if things get loud.=

I just want a hole in...clean amp... hole out ! ...will keep looking.