Re: Nady DMP-2 phantom mic preamp

Subject: Re: Nady DMP-2 phantom mic preamp
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:22 am ((PST))
Paul--
Sony has made recorders with low noise mic pre performance in the
<$500USD price range, so try to be sure you are not overlooking
something.  I've not used a D50; I can't gauge how much noise you're
encountering.  What external mics are you planning to use with the
D50?  If you have mics with 14dB(A) or lower self-noise, I'd
definitely try a portable phantom power unit like a Rolls PB224. If
you try low-noise mics and determine that getting acceptable noise
performance with the D50 is only possible with a $300 addition, a
FR2-LE is only a couple of hundred more.  External pres aren't really
crucial items these days now that we have recorders like the FR2-LE.
As a ball bark guess, if your mics have greater than 16dB(A)
self-noise, likely you are hearing their noise, not the D50's.  Rob D.