Re: Nady DMP-2 phantom mic preamp

Subject: Re: Nady DMP-2 phantom mic preamp
From: "Paul Slabaugh" texdig
Date: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:32 pm ((PST))
Good words ...thanks P

----- Original Message ----
From: Philip Tyler <>
Sent: Saturday, February 16, 2008 5:21:18 PM
Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] Nady DMP-2 phantom mic preamp

Hi Paul

The spec for the MXL V63M is a self noise of 20dB,
while that of the K6/ME66, assuming phantom power, is
around 10dB. Which I would concur having just got a
pair of AT3032's, as to me the self noise of these two
mics seem very similar to my ears. [Although if you
battery power the K6 unit it is much noisier probably
around the >16dB mark I would guess.]
I presume the channel with no mic was open circuit? If
so it will pick up a lot of noise, you really need to
terminate the channel with a 150 ohm resistor, I think
is the preferred value. This should give you a much
better indication than just an open mic circuit with
lots of gain.

Having used K6/ME66's I have found them very quiet, as
long as they were phantom powered that is. All in all
I though the ME66 was a quiet microphone and capable
of giving you good results. I use them with a Sound
Devices MixPre and I am really not aware of the mic's
self noise except in the very quietest of locations.
So if you are hearing a lot of noise on the ME66 then
I would investigate further. I had to send mine back
to Sennheiser because one was noisier than the other
which they fixed by replacing the circuit board in one
of the K6 modules.

When I am out recording now using either AT3032's or
K6/ME66's I would say on the whole I am not worried by
self noise.

Phil

F.Y.I.
I found that when battery powering the K6/ME66 that
not only did the self noise get much louder, but it
took on a much 'coarser' quality.