Re: Stereo mics

Subject: Re: Stereo mics
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:06 am ((PST))
>I am looking at the AT815st which some members have mentioned using.
>While doing a search for info on this stereo mic it appears AT have or
>are about to release a new stereo mic as the BP4027. Further web
>searching has proved a bit confusing as on some sites it turns up as
>the AT815 and others a newer model. On bhphotvideo site they have this
>listed as the AT815st. I am wondering if its a new model. It is
>considerably cheaper than the Sennheiser 418. Does anyone have any
>experience with this or seen any reviews.

We got a loaner of an A-T stereo short shotgun to try out at a Nature
Sounds Society workshop a few years ago. It appears from A-T's web
site

<http://www.audio-technica.com/cgi-bin/product_search/wired_mics/mics_by_type.pl?product_type=Microphones%3A+Shotgun>

that it's been replaced by mics in their "BP" series, new to me.

I recall that it sounded good but in our targeted shoot-out it didn't
produce clear panoramic imaging. More of a clear center surrounded by
vague spaciality.

-Dan Dugan