Re: Auto recording

Subject: Re: Auto recording
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:01 pm ((PDT))
Thanks, Roger, for pointing out this new device. I had read about the
Song Scope software, but I didn't realize that the company had an
autonomous recorder in the works.

The Song Meter uses two SDHC flash memory cards to save the scheduled
recordings.  SDHC cards are available in 16GB capacity today.  So the
total capacity of the Song Meter storage is 32GB.  That's enough space
for 100 hours of 16/44.1 monaural WAV files, or 50 hours of stereo.

Unlike some competing products, the Song Meter goes into a state of
hibernation between scheduled recording times, so the battery life is
extended significantly.  For example, using 4 alkaline D cells, if you
record an hour of audio each day, the Song Meter can stay on the job
for 72 days!

The Song Meter has a full-featured mechanism to schedule recordings.
For example, you can record 4 times each night, then wait all day
before starting a new set of 4 recordings.

The scheduler has a simple programming language that will enable more
sophisticated scheduling as well.  I think it would be possible to set
the time of the first day's recording to catch the dawn chorus, then
schedule the next day's recording to start 2 minutes earlier because
dawn comes earlier each day.

Impressive stuff!  And at $600 for a unit with built-in stereo mics,
an affordable device as well.

Read the company's introduction to the Song Meter here
http://www.wildlifeacoustics.com/songmeter/

More detailed specifications can be found here
http://www.wildlifeacoustics.com/songmeter/specs.html

A PDF of the user manual is downloadable here
http://www.wildlifeacoustics.com/songmeter/SM.pdf

--oryoki