Re: What is a natural sound?

Subject: Re: What is a natural sound?
From: "Bruce" natureguyusa
Date: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:02 am ((PDT))
Hi Rory,

I personally record nature sounds and edit out all traces of human
made sounds. The reason is it is my style to create peaceful
recordings of nature in the absence of humans. I feel there is a
beautiful, peaceful order in nature that is very calming. When say a
fog horn, jet, or some other human made noise is heard it removes
that beauty. This is my opinion. Now, not everybody would agree to
this. I get lots of requests to have recordings with the sounds of
fog horns along a bay where waves and gulls are heard, wooden ships
creaking in the waves along a pier, and more. People are comforted by
the sounds that remind them of times that were comforting to them. As
for your question about the recording with a fog horn in it, I
wouldn't consider it off topic as long as it had waves and birds in
it as well. The New York city recording would be off topic, on this
list, since it wouldn't have anything to do with nature recording.

About your other question of recording rain, since most people have
heard rain from within the comfort of some type of shelter, that is
what they want to hear, so recording from within a shelter is a good
way to record. There are other ways of recording in the rain such as
under a soft, waterproof cover above the microphones. I am not so
sure about recording within a car though, as people would mostly
equate that sound as annoying due to memories of driving in bad
weather. Same goes with the umbrella, memories of being caught in the
rain.

Take care,
Bruce Rutkoski
www.natureguystudio.com

--- In  "Rory" <> wrote:

> This may sound like a dumb question, but I'm curious about where
people on this site draw the line between recordings of nature and
recordings of non-nature, and why the line is drawn where it is.

> Is a recording of a fog horn on topic on this site?
>
> A recording of a ferry and the water through which it is moving?
>
> A recording from the 30th floor balcony of a New York apartment of
the city breathing at night?

> A recording of crickets with the sound of city traffic in the
background?

> A recording of torrential rain from inside a car? From under an
umbrella?

> To give a specific example...
>
> Last week I recorded nesting seabirds at Cape St. Mary's in
Newfoundland. I made a separate recording of the Cape St. Mary's fog
horn. If I upload the first recording to this site, would it be "off
topic" to upload the second recording? If so, the distinction strikes
me as a bit odd. Hence my question.