Low level of recordings

Subject: Low level of recordings
From: "Normand Fisher" icipasla
Date: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:20 pm ((PDT))
Hi,

For the last few weeks I've been using the FR2-LE with three different mics=
.  One is a borrowed K6-ME66 which has now returned to its owner, the other=
 one is the Apex 175 shotgun and the main mic is the OKM  binaurals.  So fa=
r the different results are interesting and more experience will certainly =
enhance the results.  However, I'm always surprised that once I transfer th=
e files to my PC, the signal appears very low and requires to be boosted by=
 around 20 to 24 db (using Audacity) to be nicely audible.  Is that common =
for ambient nature recording?  Is there something wrong with my recording t=
echnique? or worst, is there something wrong with the equipment somewhere?

Obviously any pointer to some text that I could study is welcome.

Normand