Re: I'm new here. I also need a bit of advice on gear.

Subject: Re: I'm new here. I also need a bit of advice on gear.
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:49 pm ((PDT))
At 5:18 PM -0400 7/17/07, zachary moldof wrote:
>Hello group,
>
>This is my first act of participation on the list. I live in=A0
>Manhattan and make recordings of the city, for the most part. Right=A0
>now, I'm using a Sony Himd (Rh-1) along with the mic that it came=A0
>with and some other low cost microphones. I'm looking to upgrade my=A0
>rig. My budget is around $1500. I want to get a new recorder, and a=A0
>set of stereo mics with tripods. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
>From,
>Zach Moldof.

Hi Zach--
Welcome to the naturerecordist list. For
recording ambience and effects in the city,
response to the lowest octaves might be an
important consideration. Their size is a
liability, but the Rode NT2000's might do well in
this role: very even under 500Hz; just a tad
lacking in the high-end but responds well to EQ.
Add $50 for a phantom power supply to run the
mics with your RH1. Omni, cardioid and figure 8
patterns for a variety of arrays.  Rob D.