Because She Asked...

Subject: Because She Asked...
From: "Curt Olson" flipov411
Date: Fri May 25, 2007 7:14 pm ((PDT))
Suzanne Williams wrote:

> I personally joined more to listen to the recordings than to talk tech.

Because you asked, Suzanne, here are four clips recorded earlier this
month at a very remote location in the Chippewa National Forest of
north central Minnesota.

=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95

1) I managed to get a recording rig through thick brush and hordes of
wood ticks to the the edge of a small beaver pond at sunset. I left the
rig running and came back a couple hours later. This clip is from about
a half hour into the recording. Notice a grouse taking flight to the
right of the microphones, about 20 seconds into the clip. A bird I
cannot identify with flies overhead near the end. (I'd appreciate a
definite ID from anyone on this bird and also on the frogs in this
recording.)

192 kbps mp3 =95 3.4 MB =95 (2:30)

http://www.trackseventeen.com/soundscapes/x070507a-beaver_pond.mp3

or

http://tinyurl.com/2bq6xl

=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95

2) This clip is from the same recording, about 20 minutes later. It's
actually two duck events that took place about 8 minutes apart,
crossfaded together. Hopefully only our most skilled frog experts will
be able to locate the crossfade.

192 kbps mp3 =95 3.9 MB =95 (2:53)

http://www.trackseventeen.com/soundscapes/x070507b-beaver_pond.mp3

or

http://tinyurl.com/ytk4zq

(Recording equipment for the two cuts above: AudioTechnica AT3032 mics
in a head-spaced barrier array > Fostex FR-2LE recorder.)

=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95

3) Immediately pre-dawn the next morning. Mic is about 50 feet from my
vehicle, facing into a stand of young aspen where I heard a ruffed
grouse drumming the evening before. I missed a direct hit on the
grouse, but it's close enough to be interesting, at least to me. This
site is about 100 yards from my beaver pond, thus the frogs prominent
in the background. I'm pretty sure that's a White Throated Sparrow in
the foreground, with a brief call from a distant Loon and other
interesting stuff in there too.

192 kbps mp3 =95 1.2 MB =95 (:54)

http://www.trackseventeen.com/soundscapes/x070508a-grouse+sparrow.mp3

or

http://tinyurl.com/ysxb5l

(Recording equipment: AudioTechnica AT3031 mics (cardioid cousins to
the 3032s) in a head-spaced barrier array (yup that's right --
cardioids attached to a barrier) > Fostex FR-2LE recorder.)

=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95

4) That afternoon, just about the time I was nearly going insane from
more wood ticks than I've ever dealt with before, a military jet flew a
training mission overhead. Some of the airspace above this area is
designated a Military Operations Area. A few years ago I stood a couple
miles from this location for almost 45 minutes watching and listening
as two F-16s engaged in mock combat from horizon to horizon.
Unfortunately, this time it was only one jet, presumably an F-16 from
the Minnesota Air National Guard fighter squadron based in Duluth, MN.
Here's one pass-by, along with some wind noise (it was a warm, breezy
afternoon).

192 kbps mp3 =95 3.2 MB =95 (2:20)

http://www.trackseventeen.com/soundscapes/x070508b-f16.mp3

or

http://tinyurl.com/2rsv73

(Recording equipment: AudioTechnica AT3032 mics in a head-spaced
barrier array > Fostex FR-2LE recorder.)

=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95

And finally...

I'm posting this just to get an ID if possible. Can anyone tell me who
the main players are in this clip?

192 kbps mp3 =95 1.5 MB =95 (1:06)

http://www.trackseventeen.com/soundscapes/x070507c-what_is_this.mp3

or

http://tinyurl.com/2mugj9

(Recording equipment: AudioTechnica AT3031 mics in a head-spaced
barrier array > ART Phantom II power supply > Sony MZ-M100 Hi-MD
recorder.)

Curt Olson