Re: Because She Asked...

Subject: Re: Because She Asked...
From: "Suzanne Williams" scw1217
Date: Sat May 26, 2007 6:26 am ((PDT))
Wow. Thanks so much, Curt. Those were great!  I put in my earphones
and just sat back, closed my eyes, and imagined I was there. Loved
the duck flying over head.  It literally went in the left ear and out
the right. Very cool. And nice job on the grouse drumming.  I quite
enjoyed those!

----------------------
Suzanne
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/swilli41/www
Florida, USA

--- In  Curt Olson <> wrote:

> Suzanne Williams wrote:
>
> > I personally joined more to listen to the recordings than to talk
tech.

> Because you asked, Suzanne, here are four clips recorded earlier
this
> month at a very remote location in the Chippewa National Forest of
> north central Minnesota.
>
> =95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95
>
> 1) I managed to get a recording rig through thick brush and hordes
of
> wood ticks to the the edge of a small beaver pond at sunset. I left
the
> rig running and came back a couple hours later. This clip is from
about
> a half hour into the recording. Notice a grouse taking flight to
the
> right of the microphones, about 20 seconds into the clip. A bird I
> cannot identify with flies overhead near the end. (I'd appreciate a
> definite ID from anyone on this bird and also on the frogs in this
> recording.)
>
> 192 kbps mp3 =95 3.4 MB =95 (2:30)
>
> http://www.trackseventeen.com/soundscapes/x070507a-beaver_pond.mp3
>
> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2bq6xl
>
> =95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95
>
> 2) This clip is from the same recording, about 20 minutes later.
It's
> actually two duck events that took place about 8 minutes apart,
> crossfaded together. Hopefully only our most skilled frog experts
will
> be able to locate the crossfade.
>
> 192 kbps mp3 =95 3.9 MB =95 (2:53)
>
> http://www.trackseventeen.com/soundscapes/x070507b-beaver_pond.mp3
>
> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ytk4zq
>
> (Recording equipment for the two cuts above: AudioTechnica AT3032
mics
> in a head-spaced barrier array > Fostex FR-2LE recorder.)
>
> =95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95
>
> 3) Immediately pre-dawn the next morning. Mic is about 50 feet from
my
> vehicle, facing into a stand of young aspen where I heard a ruffed
> grouse drumming the evening before. I missed a direct hit on the
> grouse, but it's close enough to be interesting, at least to me.
This
> site is about 100 yards from my beaver pond, thus the frogs
prominent
> in the background. I'm pretty sure that's a White Throated Sparrow
in
> the foreground, with a brief call from a distant Loon and other
> interesting stuff in there too.
>
> 192 kbps mp3 =95 1.2 MB =95 (:54)
>
> http://www.trackseventeen.com/soundscapes/x070508a-
grouse+sparrow.mp3

> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ysxb5l
>
> (Recording equipment: AudioTechnica AT3031 mics (cardioid cousins
> the 3032s) in a head-spaced barrier array (yup that's right --
> cardioids attached to a barrier) > Fostex FR-2LE recorder.)
>
> =95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95
>
> 4) That afternoon, just about the time I was nearly going insane
from
> more wood ticks than I've ever dealt with before, a military jet
flew a
> training mission overhead. Some of the airspace above this area is
> designated a Military Operations Area. A few years ago I stood a
couple
> miles from this location for almost 45 minutes watching and
listening
> as two F-16s engaged in mock combat from horizon to horizon.
> Unfortunately, this time it was only one jet, presumably an F-16
from
> the Minnesota Air National Guard fighter squadron based in Duluth,
MN.