Re: Because She Asked...

Subject: Re: Because She Asked...
From: "M, J, & V Phinney" badgreenbird
Date: Sat May 26, 2007 12:22 am ((PDT))
on 5/25/07 6:06 PM, Curt Olson at  wrote:

<snip>

See below -

> =80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80
>
> 1) I managed to get a recording rig through thick brush and hordes of
> wood ticks to the the edge of a small beaver pond at sunset. I left the
> rig running and came back a couple hours later. This clip is from about
> a half hour into the recording. Notice a grouse taking flight to the
> right of the microphones, about 20 seconds into the clip. A bird I
> cannot identify with flies overhead near the end. (I'd appreciate a
> definite ID from anyone on this bird and also on the frogs in this
> recording.)

<snip>

the main (bird) players are American Robin, Swamp Sparrow, with faint
Mallard, Song Sparrow and White-throated Sparrow. The fly past at the end
sounds very much like a female Green-winged Teal. I hear at least 3 species
of frog/toad, but can't say for sure what they are.

> =80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80
>
> 2) This clip is from the same recording, about 20 minutes later. It's
> actually two duck events that took place about 8 minutes apart,
> crossfaded together. Hopefully only our most skilled frog experts will
> be able to locate the crossfade.

<snip> had to pass on this one - dial up is just too slow

> =80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80
>
> 3) Immediately pre-dawn the next morning. Mic is about 50 feet from my
> vehicle, facing into a stand of young aspen where I heard a ruffed
> grouse drumming the evening before. I missed a direct hit on the
> grouse, but it's close enough to be interesting, at least to me. This
> site is about 100 yards from my beaver pond, thus the frogs prominent
> in the background. I'm pretty sure that's a White Throated Sparrow in
> the foreground, with a brief call from a distant Loon and other
> interesting stuff in there too.

<snip>

Defintely White-throated Sparrow here; Swamp Sparrow also prominent (slow
musical trill)

> =80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80
>
> 4) That afternoon, just about the time I was nearly going insane from
> more wood ticks than I've ever dealt with before, a military jet flew a
> training mission overhead. Some of the airspace above this area is
> designated a Military Operations Area. A few years ago I stood a couple
> miles from this location for almost 45 minutes watching and listening
> as two F-16s engaged in mock combat from horizon to horizon.
> Unfortunately, this time it was only one jet, presumably an F-16 from
> the Minnesota Air National Guard fighter squadron based in Duluth, MN.
> Here's one pass-by, along with some wind noise (it was a warm, breezy
> afternoon).

<snip> - passed again, due to stone age modem

> =80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80=80
>
> And finally...
>
> I'm posting this just to get an ID if possible. Can anyone tell me who
> the main players are in this clip?

I hear one main player - American Woodcock.

You've got some of the aerial chirping notes (faint), the hiccup-PEEENT
ground call, and the twittering wing take off. Must have been fairly close =
-
the hiccup part of the call is not audible from far away.

Mark Phinney