Re: 16 Bit & 24 Bit recordings & mono file

Subject: Re: 16 Bit & 24 Bit recordings & mono file
From: "Richard Humphries" mdsfx
Date: Fri May 25, 2007 7:00 pm ((PDT))
--- In  "Martyn Stewart"
<> wrote:
> There are NOT mono recordings, listen and read it again, they were
recorded
> with a Telinga stereo dat mic.
>
> The MKH-110 has much more depth to the recordings than the MKH-
20's but I
> did record both mics with different bit rates, so the comparison
is there if
> you look for it..
>
> It all depends to on what you are listening to them with? Computer
speakers?
> Studio?

The nagra 16bit file is most certainly a mono file once it arrives
at my computer. I listened in my studio and it was plain as day, but
just to make sure, I downloaded the file imported it into Protools
and and played it though Phasescope. Mono.

<snip>

> I am personally tired with this discussion and in my opinion
believe there
> are a lot less nature recordists on this list than the numbers
given. I
> agree with Walt, this list has deteriated somewhat. We used to
have some
> great nature recordists here that have now left us or switched to
no e-mail
> because of these unnecessary postings from a lot of people who do
not get
> out there in the field.
>
> But you know, it's only MY opinion.

Simply because technical topics do seem to get a lot of play here
doesn't mean that people aren't getting out and recording. There is
no correlation between the number of technical postings and the lack
of people getting out in the field.

But since I have only been on this list for a couple years, if that,
perhaps I missed the good old days. Please explain what topics you
and Walt would find appropriate?

-Richard