Re: Sennheiser MKH-8000 Series

Subject: Re: Sennheiser MKH-8000 Series
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Mon May 21, 2007 8:33 am ((PDT))
Posted by: "Tim Nielsen"

> True, the cardiods and hyper are definitely quieter and more gain.

Read the specs...

> The Schoeps MS and the Senn MKH MS at the same settings recorder wise =

> (preamp gain), am curious just how the 'numbers' of sensitivity and
> self-noise translate into listening experience.

You will find there is a difference between the MKH-30 and MKH-40 at a
fixed gain setting. But what's the point of using a fixed gain? Set the
gain for optimum recording for each mic and see what you get.

> I've never ran them side by side that way, am curious. If I get
> anything enlightening, I'll post it for others to hear.
>

> On May 20, 2007, at 9:27 AM, evs wrote:
>
>> But the Self noise from the cardioids is MUCH much more quieter than
>> the schoeps. and much (only one much:-)) than the old mkh.
>>
>> If they will discontinue the mkh 20, 40 and 50?

One can hope that they don't discontinue the 40 & 50. Did you folks read
the specs?  I don't doubt the comment about the schoeps, but the specs
on the new mics tell the opposite story vs the older MKH. The new MKH
8040 & 8050 are one dBA louder self noise than the MKH 40 & 50, not
quieter. Thats a small difference, but it's in the wrong direction.
There is a much more significant change in the sensitivity, again in the
wrong direction, the new ones are less sensitive than the older. The
combination of the change in sensitivity and self noise will mean these
mics limit out in how quiet a ambiance than the older MKH 40 & 50,
and/or how much reach in distance they have. Of course we don't know how
they will sound, but it would have to be awfully good to overcome those
changes.

The 8020 is the only one of the three that's actually improved. Self
noise is the same as the MKH-20, but the sensitivity is distinctly
improved. This will mean that it should be able to record even quieter
ambiance, or the same ambiance from farther away than the MKH-20.

Schoeps is well liked in certain circles, but pretty marginal for nature
recording. It much prefers to be in a studio recording music. If you
want to test it for nature recording get it out in all kinds of
environmental conditions.  Comparing it to the MKH 40 M/S is comparing
to the low end of the MKH in my opinion. Try a MKH 80 pair in M/S
against it.