Re: Sennheiser MKH-8000 Series

Subject: Re: Sennheiser MKH-8000 Series
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Sun May 20, 2007 10:44 am ((PDT))
<<I'm hoping that all of the MKH-80x0's are single-diaphragm unlike
the dual-diaphragm MKH-80's and MKH-800's. I've always been leery of
dual diaphragms, and some 'perts with net.presence have complained of
mid-range not-rightness in the MKH series.>>

The MKH series are fine mics, but I will say, when auditioning
hypercardioids for touring use with the Kronos Quartet, the MKH50 was
the first one we eliminated. A tight contest existed between the
Schoeps & Neumann, but we eventually unanimously favored the Neumann
KM150 over the Schoeps as having the most natural rendering of the
lower mids/upper bass range on the cello. I've also used the MKH80 &
800 in critical orchestral & film score recordings & there's
absolutely nothing 'wrong' with them. Largely it's a matter of taste.

Scott Fraser

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: