Re: MKH30 problem : advice needed

Subject: Re: MKH30 problem : advice needed
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Fri May 18, 2007 8:42 pm ((PDT))
--- In  Yannick Dauby
<> wrote:

> I tested with my SD722 and my Digidesign sound card, I changed my
cables
> but the only thing that stops this annoying whistling is to put a piece
> of aluminium foil between the two microphones.
> So I believe that this is an electromagnetic interference between the
> two capsules ? But why my MKH40 get it also ?

It's possible your MKH40 also has problems?

> What should I do :
> send again the microphone at Sennheiser Germany (because it seems that
> in France, the technicians aren't able to repair it) and waiting 3
> months like the last time (I don't know why do these guys work so
slowly
> !) ?
> Open the microphone and see if the technician forgot to connect the EMI
> protection grid ?
> Keep always aluminium foil between the microphones (mmmmh) ?
>
> Any miracle advice ? ;-(

Contact Sennheiser and talk direct to their technical folks. A capsule
replacement usually gives you a virtually new MKH. I expect they will
cover it and be faster at it. I'd expect that they will want to test
both mics.

Working on it yourself will change it's specs. In ways you may not
detect right away.

I've only worked with Sennheiser USA, they are great. They serviced my
HHb Portadisc bringing it up to date and it took one day in their
shop. One of my MKH-60's had a capsule fail and that was just a matter
of days once I Ok'd the repair. It runs perfectly.

If it were mine I'd have Sennheiser fix it. In the long run that's the
best solution.