2. Re: 24 bit vs. 16 bit

Subject: 2. Re: 24 bit vs. 16 bit
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Fri May 18, 2007 8:14 pm ((PDT))
--- In  "John Hartog"
<> wrote:

> Ok Walt, so you already have an excellent recorder that does for you
> what you need it to do - even without high bit depth.  But what if
> your recorder did have a 24bit option =96 would you ever use it?

Maybe. What I've done for a long time is use 32bit when I'm editing
sounds, that's more important to my mind. As long as the standard
distribution medium is 16 bit there is not a lot of push to record
above that if you do it well.

Just a thought, ATRAC has been rated by some as equivalent to 20bit
fixed depth due to it's intelligent allocation of bits in a variable
manner with offset. So I might not even notice much difference,
especially with my old ears. (and a note to everyone I'm not
interested in discussing this)

It's kind of a moot question for me right now. I'm much more thinking
about how many years I have left. Yesterday I became the oldest male
member of the Knapp clan when my dad died. I'm only 23 years younger
than he was. Far more intelligent and knowledgeable than me.