Re: MKH30 problem : advice needed

Subject: Re: MKH30 problem : advice needed
From: "Andy Freeth" badger540
Date: Thu May 17, 2007 1:47 pm ((PDT))
I had a rather unfortunate incident about a year ago with an MKH 60/30 pair=
.
The Rycote (on a tripod) got collected by a freak wave on a storm beach, an=
d fell backwards into the sea.

I was close to my accommodation, so legged it back and quickly stripped bot=
h mics down.
The connector end of both mics were completely sodden, but the capsules had=
 remained dry.

A lot of washing under the tap and then very gentle drying brought the 60 b=
ack to life.
This has a die cast alloy casing that completely encompasses the component =
side of the circuit board, so it had allowed less ingress of water.
Conversely, the 30 had no such screening, and the pot cores in the mic were=
 damp.

The 30 produced an interesting range of whistles and very low output, so I =
thought I had a big bill on the way.
I left it in a sealed bag with a packet of silica gel, and after 2 days it =
had recovered. (Phew !!)

I was surprised at how little shielding there was on the 30, bearing in min=
d that is contains radio frequency oscillators !
However, I have never had any interaction problems with the 60/30 or a 40/3=
0 I use in a parabolic reflector.
I hope you get to the bottom of the problem.

Regards from the UK.  Andy