Re: Fostex FR2LE query

Subject: Re: Fostex FR2LE query
From: "Klas Strandberg" klasstrandberg
Date: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:57 am ((PDT))
No, I don't agree, Danny.

Ten years ago it was not a problem! Phantom power was something for
pro's only, and the stepping up designs were made for pro's.
That is not the case today, as even such crappy machines as Zoom H4
have 48v phantom power.
And they all (??) basically use the same stepping up techniques and IC's.

Sony didn't want to incorporate phantom power into their TCD-D10!
I asked the Sony designer at the expo they had in Stockholm and he
said it was "too risky, we can get bad reputation.".

The Zoom H4 has a step-up chopper that creates a 660Hz tone. No mic
work with the Zoom.

In the FR2 case, the noise is not a tone, but more like distant traffic noi=
se.
In the MT24/96 case, it is like FM noise.
Some mic's work, others not.  Some mic's may work in room
temperature, but not when cold, e.t.c.

This example cannot be misunderstood:

1/ One of my NT1A work fine with the FR2,  the other not.
2/ So: Something must be wrong with the NT1A! Right? Isn't that the
logical conclusion?
3/ No, it is wrong - because if I connect both of the NT1A to the
FR2, they both work fine!

See??

PRO6 and FR2:
Lindsey Cargill was just very lucky to discover his problems, as the
noise was intermittent. It started after a while. My FR2 is not that
way. The noise starts immediately, and one may very well think that
the noise comes from the PRO6 handle.
But the same PRO6 handle works fantastic with SD702.

See?

Klas.