2. Re: MD timers

Subject: 2. Re: MD timers
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:04 pm ((PDT))
Posted by: "Gene Dorcas"

> Therefore, I am developing a much less expensive model that records to a
> Flash thumb-drive.  I am also adding a very low-noise preamp using an op-=
amp
> with a noise density of 0.85 nV/rt.HZ.  I believe this is the quietest in
> the industry. I'm thinking of using the audible time stamp used in the 1s=
> generation of frogloggers.

I saw that note and am interested. Low cost is definitely a issue, as is
longer time between servicing. Travel costs are going to keep climbing.

If working with a stereo recorder it can also be interesting to have
both channels for recording. You could then record two spots. Or maybe a
hydrophone and a mic at the same time as has been done with Gopher
Frogs. So using a time stamp in one channel might not be desirable.

> The term "froglogger" has become public domain and is used by many who bu=
ild
> their own units.  My original schematics published in 1995 are still post=
ed
> on the US Geological Survey's (USGS) web-site at:

I've also seen people building identical sort of units and not calling
them frogloggers. Most seem to only be around a short time,
unfortunately. Some designs I've seen have been interesting, though most
of those have also cost too much.

> And, BTW, my son Mike (Dr. Dorcas) has written two books on frogs which a=
re
> to be in print in a few weeks. Many thanks go to Walt for contributing fr=
og
> calls that will be included on CD with one of the books.

You're welcome.