Re: Noisy Marantz PMD recorders

Subject: Re: Noisy Marantz PMD recorders
From: "Raimund Specht" animalsounds
Date: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:18 am ((PDT))
oryoki wrote:

> "Raimund Specht"  wrote:
>
> > There has always been a irrational paranoia
> > regarding the preamplifier noise issues...
>
> Irrational or not, my experience is that the quality
> of bird sounds recorded in the field improved markedly when
> the PMD670 was replaced by a Sound Devices 722.
> The same mic was used, the same cables, the same recordist,
> the same bit depth settings on the recorders.  Only the
> recording device was changed.

Yes, there is no doubt that there are insensitive microphones out
there that do not fit very well to the PMD 670. So, which microphone
was used? In my experience, the Sennheiser K6/ME66 noise floor still
YXmasks the PMD 670 preamplifier noise floor. As I tried to explain
several times here, it does not make much sense to talk about
microphone preamplifier noise without taking the microphone
specifications into account...

> Using the PMD670, the "tape hiss" added by the preamp
> is distracting, to the point that the recordings are marginal
> for publication on CD.  With the 722, the recordings
> are much quieter, and unquestionably are good enough for
> commercial publication.  (This is one case where the extra
> money spent for the 722 does buy happiness.)
>
> That's why I say the PMD670 has noisy preamps.  The PMD671
> seems much improved in this regard, but I have not used
> the PMD671 in the field.

Yes, I agree that the PMD671 has better preamps than the PMD670.

Regards,
Raimund