Re: Ergonomic Barriers

Subject: Re: Ergonomic Barriers
From: "tk7859" tk7859
Date: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:20 am ((PST))
--- In  "tk7859" <> wrote:

> If the wind and rain ever stop in this part of the world (serious
> storm warnings have again been posted on TV for this coming Thursday)
> I will do some more live test recording; pitting the "corrux
> collapsable" against my Rode NT4.

Well, the weather improved over the past two days so I was out this
morning to record the local pre-dawn (sunrise 7:47) ambience on my
back stoep and pit the plastic, collapsable, triple capsule (Rapid
35-0192) barrier (PCTCB for those who like acronyms) against my Rode NT4.

To refresh your memory the PCTCB is on the right in this photo

http://ad2004.hku.nl/naturesound/TomR/barriercomparison.JPG

The back stoep test site looked like this

http://ad2004.hku.nl/naturesound/TomR/mictest.JPG

You can see the two mics under test side by side and they are facing
due south,  The sea is about three-quarters of a mile away with salt
marsh between the sea and the gardens.  About a mile due north of the
stoep is the port of Brightlingsea where a steel ship is being loaded
with metal scrap (even at 6:30am).

I made a one hour recording using a Sony MZ-NH1 attached to the PCTCB
and a Sony MZ-RH910 attached to the Rode NT4.  Both minidiscs recorded
in PCM with the mic sensitivity set to high and the recording volune
at 21.

A three minute MP3 extract from the Rode NT4 is here

http://ad2004.hku.nl/naturesound/TomR/selected_nt4mp3.mp3

and an MP3 of the recording made with the PTCTB at exactly the same
time is here

http://ad2004.hku.nl/naturesound/TomR/selectedtriplemp3.mp3

Both extracts are "as is" from the recorders.

To make comparison easier a one minute extract from each of these have
been put together here, with the NT4 extract being played first

http://ad2004.hku.nl/naturesound/TomR/mp3compilation.mp3

The NT4 recording has been amplified by 18dB to roughly match the
level of the PTCTB and the compiled recording is here - again the NT4
goes first.

So, what do you think?  Having had the opportunity to listen to the
results several times I have my own views.

As well as the nature sounds on the recordings there are some fine
examples of rush hour for the three london airports for aircraft
arriving from the East and some great port activity.

.WAv files are available on request.

Cheers
Tom Robinson