Re: a quick recorder?

Subject: Re: a quick recorder?
From: "macmang4125" macmang4125
Date: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:10 am ((PST))
Hi Debbi

Personal memo recorder!

I saw one of these used to good effect while birding on Trinidad. We
could hear the call of a Silvered Antbird but not see it, tends to
skulk in the undergrowth a lot. Richard, one of the people I was with
at the time, took out his Sony memo recorder pointed it in the
direction of the bird call and started to record. Once he had the
call
he then played it back and low and behold one Silvered Antbird came
looking for this new intruder and we had excellent views. This
particular recorder was an old mini-cassette type one, primarily used
to keep a record of the birds seen during the day. You can now get
solid state versions which you can download to computer by USB
connection. Sony and Olympus are two makes I know of. I have an
Olympus
which you can actually plug an external mic in and happily accepts my
Sennheiser K6/ME66!. I have found it invaluable for taking field
notes, especially as with advancing years I need reading glasses. So
it saves
all the hassle of having to put on my glasses to write in a note
book.
Now I can record my sightings and then write up my notes over a cool
beer at the end of the day.

Phil

--- In  Debbi B <>