Re: mic windscreen tests from Army Research Lab

Subject: Re: mic windscreen tests from Army Research Lab
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:12 pm ((PST))
Posted by: "Rob Danielson"

> I'm not sure its the exact same material, but Martyn helped point me
> to "hog shair" sheet material they use for industrial air filters--
> dark brown, tougher than the usual fiberglass 1- 2 inches thick.
> http://tinyurl.com/w4646  It works like a thick mesh randomly
> breaking up the water drops into a fine spray. I use a layer of
> ripstop nylon water proofing underneath on one rig and 2" blanket to
> place on top of an umbrella for another.  Not perfect, but it does
> help.

hogs hair comes in a variety of colors. As far as I've been able to tell
it's all pretty much the same.

I tried the umbrella trick too. Awfully cumbersome if you were doing as
I was moving from site to site doing survey recordings. It was the
dealing with handling a large wet object in the truck that put me off.
If setting up a longer term recording site that would be less of a issue.

> The collapsing/openable frame is pretty nifty but I bet that after
> looking it, someone really familiar with fabrics at could suggest
> some materials to try. Rob D.

It looked like high thread count nylon taffeta when I looked at
Martyn's. That's easily obtained. Using only a single layer of
protection it would be essential that it be high thread count tight weave.

I should have checked to see if it was coated and airtight. If it's a
coated fabric there are more choices in fabric.

Another material to look at is two way stretch speaker cloth.

I know folks that simply hack up pantyhose for the material.