Re: mic windscreen tests from Army Research Lab

Subject: Re: mic windscreen tests from Army Research Lab
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:52 pm ((PST))
At 1:13 PM -0500 1/13/07, Walter Knapp wrote:
>Posted by: "Martyn Stewart"
>
>>  The windpac is excellent in the wind in any direction but as most
>>  windjammers they are not good in the rain. For many years I have used "=
Hogs
>>  hair" for rain protection, a little hard to get but it works the same a=
s it
>>  does on animals, the water is repelled away from the source.
>
>Could you describe exactly how you use Hogs Hair? How you place it, how
>thick a layer, etc.

Good that you are on the mend Martyn!

I'm not sure its the exact same material, but Martyn helped point me
to "hog shair" sheet material they use for industrial air filters--
dark brown, tougher than the usual fiberglass 1- 2 inches thick.
http://tinyurl.com/w4646  It works like a thick mesh randomly
breaking up the water drops into a fine spray. I use a layer of
ripstop nylon water proofing underneath on one rig and 2" blanket to
place on top of an umbrella for another.  Not perfect, but it does
help.

>BTW, Hogs Hair is a brand name for a filter material that's sold
>regionally in southern California, it's not specific to that name. There
>are many other names for this filter material and it's widely available.
>
>There is a DPA Windpac on ebay right now, the first one in nearly a
>year. It went through one round of bidding where the bids went above
>$400 but did not meet reserve, more than I paid for my Rycote and
>Sennheiser systems on ebay. It's been put back up today with a little
>lower buy it now, of course the reserve is hidden, but I'd expect it's
>above $400. A awfully expensive system for what's there. But then so are
>the Rycote and Sennheiser systems.
>
>Walt

The collapsing/openable frame is pretty nifty but I bet that after
looking it, someone really familiar with fabrics at could suggest
some materials to try. Rob D.