Re: mic windscreen tests from Army Research Lab

Subject: Re: mic windscreen tests from Army Research Lab
From: "jpbeale" jpbeale
Date: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:14 pm ((PST))
--- In  "John Hartog"
<> wrote:
> It would have been nice if they had used a sweep of a wider range of
> frequencies for their reference signal to see how each windscreen
> performed at higher frequencies.  The foam might hiss kind of loud
> with wind blowing across its textured surface.

I guess the military interest is noise of trucks, helicopters and
artillery, hence the lower frequencies. It was funny how they admitted
they didn't finish testing the 3" foam ball because it got eaten in
mid-test by the wind tunnel!

I would be interested to hear how your test goes- I would also expect
foam to hiss more than fur. The DPA Windpac is supposed to be good,
without use of fur, but I've read it is only good with the front
pointy side facing the wind, and not sideways. Maybe it could be
mounted on a pivot, so it could weathervane into the wind? :-)