Re: The Zoom H4 and naturesound.

Subject: Re: The Zoom H4 and naturesound.
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:01 pm ((PST))
Posted by: "macmang4125"

> I think we can get so involved with what is our own 'niche market' we
> lose sight somewhat of what a lot of these recorders / equipment is
> intended for.

It's part of what I study when considering a piece of equipment. Knowing
what it was designed for I'll know better where it's limitations might
be. I don't think there are very many that are not aware that equipment
is not designed for nature recording.

I use a field recorder that was designed for ENG fieldwork.
Many of my mics were designed for movie sets.
The case on my recorder and my preamp and the utility cases were
designed by a company that's primarily a supplier to ENG and movie
companies.
And so on...
Only piece of equipment I have I know was designed for nature recording
is the Telinga, and even there it was designed for bird recordists, not
frog recordists.

Note I don't operate on the basis that I've found faults, but
limitations. Limitations I can work around.

> If we all had the money we may go out there and buy ourselves a Sound
> Devices unit, a couple of Sennheiser MKH microphones and a Windpac
> and have done with it. Unfortunately we have not all won the lottery
> and have to use semi-pro or even domestic equipment. Plus we
> manufacture things ourselves to save money or tailor items to our own
> specific needs.

I do a end run and use ebay. Average half price for equipment. They are
the source of all my MKH mics. Individually they cost me from $450 to
$1200. The MKH-20's cost me $600 each (they came as a matched pair). The
MKH-80's cost me a average between them of $850. MKH 40's & 30's were
the cheapest. This may sound like a lot of money, but there were many
years involved. And it's a huge amount less than their retail price.

It does not take winning the lottery, though I'd be happy to do that.

I spent most of my lifetime working with inexpensive options. Most of
the time I could not do as well as I wanted due to the equipment. It
took me many years to save and obtain the better grade equipment, and
I'd do it again sooner if I were doing it over. What I regret is all the
older recordings that could have been so much better.

Anyone, including myself, starting out should probably not invest
heavily until they are sure it's something they want to do long term.
Once you are sure, then stop making excuses and figure out how to equip
yourself. Even if you have to save for several years to get a mic, it's
going to be worth it. That is if you thought carefully about what you
really needed for what you wanted to do.

Personally I don't consider the Windpac the top of the
windscreen/suspension heap.

Finally, don't expect one mic setup to be the end of it.

> I for instance use a Sony MZ-NH900 which I bought off ebay, I think
> it is amazing that something so small packs so many features. So OK I
> have to keep selecting manual record level each time I go into
> record, and yes it's a pain as I have to wear glasses to read the
> display. But it produces amazing results none the less and it is what
> I can afford.

When I first started doing a lot of frog recording it was with a Sony
MZ-R30. The mics I had were definitely more of the problem of sound
quality than the recorder.

> So yes there is a lot of unsuitable equipment out there, but we
> either pay the big bucks or make do it seems to me. As I can't afford
> otherwise I make do and still amaze myself with what one can achieve
> with such 'domestic' equipment. Especially as I work with some of the
> most expensive sound equipment for my day job.

Indeed, for many the inexpensive equipment may always be perfectly
satisfactory. Others will start there, but will work their way up in
equipment as their skill and desire grows. It is not impossible to do
so. I see the biggest problem with folks that they are unwilling to go
for something that will take a while and planning to get. We have a
instant society these days.

The second problem is that there is far too much of the idea that there
is only one piece of equipment that's good and all else is not. The
winner take all philosophy that's so common in our modern culture. It
starts with making ranked lists of specs or tests. And is a very dumb idea.