The Zoom H4 and naturesound.

Subject: The Zoom H4 and naturesound.
From: "Klas Strandberg" klasstrandberg
Date: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:02 am ((PST))
Okay, suppose the new firmware will solve the whining sound.
Suppose the balanced input and the phantom power is okay.

Then, still:

To adjust the recording level you have to

1/ click the menu button once,
2/ select "level" with the toggle switch,
3/ use the toggle switch to select which channel you want to adjust
and press the toggle switch,
4/ adjust the level with the toggle switch and press it again,
5/ then select the next channel, with the toggle switch, press it,
and set the level with it.
6/ finally click the menu button twice.

With good eyes and not holding a mic or parabol, I think it is
possible to do this in perhaps 45 sec to a minute. The display is
very small, with small letters and numbers. What a near sighted
person can do except changing glasses, I don't know. What the display
looks like in sunshine, I don't know either.

And - Anders - I still don't find any instructions how to link the
two channels together.....
They are only linked when the internal mic's are used.
Or is that changed with the new firmware?
Does the new firmware also include a shortcut to the level setting?

Of course one can argue that one doesn't need to set the recording
level so many times, during a normal excursion. That the dynamic
range is good enough anyway. But when using a parabol you often need to.
With the Edirol and the MT24/96 you just press a + / - button to do
the same thing.

Try to understand, Anders, why I am upset about those things: Only
four years ago, almost all recorders were just fine! I argued on this
list that that mic preamps were not needed, as most recorder inputs
were good enough! Then, for reasons which has nothing to do with
sound quality, it all changes to the worse! Take the Edirol R09 -
there is NO "quality" reason why the mic input should be that bad! It
is not difficult to design a good enough mic input! There was nothing
wrong with the Edirol R-01!

Klas.

At 00:24 2007-01-13, you wrote:
> > Hej Anders och v=E4lkommen till listan! (Swedish)
>
>tack! (swedish)
>

> > You are right - releasing a million (??) recorders with "a whining
> > sound" is not a joke, it's an insult.
>
>i had to download a new firmware to my philips (610) dvd-recorder i
>bought, as it made *awful noise* when playing dvd's. that's an insult
>too.
>
>i am not saying that zoom h4 is perfect. it has disadvantvages. you
>have to cope with that. but you still have to name the perfect
>recording equipment that everyone praise and no one saying: 'don't buy
>that', 'the preamp sucks', 'lousy  specs', 'internal mics are bad', 'my
>thumb is too thick for the buttons', 'bad interface', 'old technology
>and low resolutions', 'can't transfer files to my computer', 'not worth
>the heavy price tag', 'doesn't support this i/o and that i/o '...and so
>on
>
> > I would have accepted it if I had found a note on red paper with the
> > manual: "This product will not work properly unless you download the
> > newest firmware", but there was no such note in my package.
>
>no note in my package of my philips (610) dvd-recorder either
>
> > I didn't
> > know there was a new firmware to solve this problem and neither did
> > JAM, the biggest dealer in Sweden, from which I bought it. They
> > didn't even know about the error.
> > I will download and hope it solves the problem.
> >
> > But how to connect two channels into stereo, setting the gain on
> > both, simultaneously?
> > I have read the manual, but....
>
>see page 31 and further on
>
>/anders