Re: Recordings in the rainforest

Subject: Re: Recordings in the rainforest
From: "Raimund Specht" animalsounds
Date: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:04 pm ((PST))
oryoki wrote:

> A recorder that uses flash memory is an alternative to the minidisc
> machine.  Unfortunately, the less expensive flash memory recorders
> like the Edirol R-09, Zoom H4 and M-Audio Microtrack 2496 produce
> recordings that have a lot more self-noise (similar to tape hiss) than
> the Hi-MD recorder does when the recorder's preamp gain is turned up.
> Today you'll have to spend more than $700 to find a flash memory
> recorder that sounds as good as the Sony Hi-MD.

In my experience, the slightly higher preamplifier self-noise levels
of the cheaper solid state recorders (at least Edirol R-09 and M-Audio
MicroTrack) are not an relevant issue for this kind of
(species-specific) sound recording. As long as you use a sensitive
microphone such as the Sennheiser K6/ME66 or 67 (50mV/Pa), there will
be other more critical factors that will limit the quality of the
recorded vocalizations.

In tropical rainforests, the disturbing background noise caused by
other animals and the reverberation caused by the dense vegetation can
degrade the value of your recordings dramatically (the preamplifier
noise is therefore neglectible). Certainly the later spectrographic
analysis of the recordings can suffer very much from these effects
(reverberation will blur the temporal structure of the vocalizations).
So, my advice would be that you should try to minimize reverberation
and ambient noise by approaching the vocalizing animals as close as
possible. If this is impossible, a parabolic reflector would help to
minimize these effects.

Note that my advice is focused at the scientific analysis of the
monkey vocalizations. Those who want to capture the entire ambience of
the rainforest might have other priorities.

Best regards,
Raimund