Re: Progress with a Telinga and some questions

Subject: Re: Progress with a Telinga and some questions
From: "Chris Hails" chrishails50
Date: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:22 pm ((PST))
--- In  umashankar <>
wrote:

> wave files have (as do other files like aiff) headers which can
carry various kinds of data in what are called chunks. some of these
chunks carry engineering metadata, which tell the computer, for
instance, whether a particular file is audio, and what is the bit
rate, sampling depth, etc. the computer needs this to know how to
play the file.

> but there are other chunks which are for users. one chunk used by
many without knowing even is when you put markers.with most programs
they are saved within the wave file (unless you specificy that they
be saved as separate files.

> most audio editor programs also allow you to save a wide variety of
information, including broadcast wave information (a broadcast wave
file is also a wave file, and usually does not even have a .bwf
extension). in Adobe Audition for instance, you call this up by
pressing ^C.

Thanks Dan and Uma, glad I seem to have hit on an issue. I use
Windows XP prof. When I right click on the wav file I can indeed see
the metadata property fields I'd love to fill in but it won't let me
access them. Is there some way to unlock this and fill them in ?
That's all I really want.

Chris

> i have found a program called Info Edit (provided free by a company
called Broadcast Software) which allows you to edit and sort the
header information without even opening the wave files - a huge time
saving when you are working with multigigabyte files. but of course
with windows vista (and probably the newer versions of mac os) you
can get at this information, including the ability to organise and
edit the information in windows explorer, so you may not need
addtional software. just right click on the file name and go to
properties.

> one reason this is happening is because the header chunks can
actually contain xml data, which can be integrated with data base
amanagement software.