Progress with a Telinga and some questions

Subject: Progress with a Telinga and some questions
From: "Chris Hails" chrishails50
Date: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:59 am ((PST))
As  have mentioned in an earlier message, after a long absence from
nature recording I took it up again in 2006 and have used the
messages in this site to learn about the digital age and what it can
offer. Using this knowledge I bought a Sony HiMD RH-910 for recording
in PCM format (and still curse at Sonic Stage !), and a few months
back obtained and wired up a Shure WL 183 (thanks Rob Danielson for
diagrams). The Shure I found troublesome (biologists are not good
with soldering irons) and continued to yearn for a "nice mic".

I made contact with Klas Strandberg of Telinga, and on a recent work
trip to Sweden took a side trip to go visit him. He very graciously
hosted my  invasion and I spent a fascinating day learning a lot from
his generous advice =96 and of course received some training in the use
of the Pro5W, DAT Stereo mic and parabola I bought. I now have no
excuses =96 the poor recordings are entirely my human failing !!

Although I had been very familiar with a smaller Sony parabola I
bought many years ago I am astounded at the abilities of the Telinga,
the sensitivity and directionality when in the dish are something I
never experienced before. I think someone from this site once
provided the advice that you are better splashing out once for the
good gear =96 and you were right.

I live in Switzerland which is not the most exciting place in
December to be testing new gear, but I have been wanting to "give
something back" to the group, so for entertainment value I have
posted my first amateurish attempts with my wonderful new instrument.
I have put my files on the "Anton Woldhek" ftp site
http://ad2004.hku.nl/  (user =3D nature , pass =3D sound) they are in the
folder "Hails" as MP3's to save volume.

I hope you can enjoy some sounds from a rather too warm Swiss winter,
and I welcome a critique of the recordings and welcome advice. They
also create some questions I will ask later:

A Crows.mp3  is recorded near the base of the Jura hills overlooking
Lake Geneva. Crows foraging about 75m away in a cow field at the edge
of the forest; the Telinga very nicely picks up the echos off the
hill and trees, and towards the end a careful ear can pick up wing
beats as one flew away.

B Coots.mp3  is at the edge of Lake Geneva and is a raft of European
Coots with a few Tufted Ducks mixed in. In winter the coots
congregate, but the males still cannot help but be aggressive and
honk at each other as well as making a fierce high
frequency "spitting" noise which is well handled by the Telinga.
Waves lapping and wings beating water are interspersed.

Questions: