Re: Progress with a Telinga and some questions

Subject: Re: Progress with a Telinga and some questions
From: "stoatwizard" stoatwizard
Date: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:03 am ((PST))
Chris,

Thats a nice Crossbill recording - thanks for sharing! Looksl ike you
and the Telinga make a good team!

Aircraft noise is a perennial problem in Europe, made much worse by
the rise of the cheap low-cost airlines. I'd much rather it was like
the 1990s, where an air ticket was a minumum of 300euros. But it
isn't to be. I have never found anything that helps get rid of
aircraft noise, as it seems to be broadband, though with higher
levels of low frequencies. It just sounds unnatural if I try and
filter the LF out. If anybody knows otherwise I'd really like to
learn...

> A Crows.mp3  is recorded near the base of the Jura hills
overlooking
> Lake Geneva. Crows foraging about 75m away in a cow field at the
edge
> of the forest; the Telinga very nicely picks up the echos off the
> hill and trees, and towards the end a careful ear can pick up wing
> beats as one flew away.

I like the soft wing-beats ending this one up. To my ear the Telinga
might have lost some of the LF of the crows - either that or British
crows have a more guttural call perhaps.

> 3. How can I electronically "annotate" files for cataloguing
> purposes ? When I using  RavenLite I save files in =96 aif. format
and
> a right click takes me to "file properties" where empty fields
could
> be filled in to describe location, recording quality, weather etc
> etc =96 all those helpful descriptors that stayed with the file and
> could be used in an electronic cataloguing system.  The .wav format
> does not allow this. What is the answer =96 save everything as .aif ?
> Is that something I may regret in future ? (If I stick
> with "Spectrogram" it will only work with .wav files)  Or is there
> good system I am not aware of for wav files ?

aif is a container format ISTR - if you save uncompresssed then you
will be able to batch convert later. For wavs there is also something
called broadcast wav format

http://www.ebu.ch/en/technical/trev/trev_274-chalmers.pdf

which some nagra field recorders create which has metadata fields

I've never found a good solution to this so my metadata is recorded
out of band on a separate system. I create directories the size a a
CD called frcd001 etc (for field recording cd001) and dump the files
in this, and use an access database which contains the fields from
the British Library outline

http://www.bl.uk/collections/sound-archive/wildcontribution.html#list

though I don't fill these all in for each recording. The access
database gives me the search capability and enables me to locate the
CD holding the relevant file. There is something nice about carrying
the metadata with the file, though seacrhing a large collection might
make that less attractive in the long run. It takes my Slim Devices
server far too long as it is to reindex my CD file collection from
the metadata, which is only up to 200 losslessly compressed CDs at
the moment