Re: Sonic Stage

Subject: Re: Sonic Stage
From: "stoatwizard" stoatwizard
Date: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:58 pm (PDT)
Debbi,

> I do keep the wav files on an external HD (besides my laptop, at
> least what fits), but I'll have to start keeping the oma files there
too.

if you are recording PCM which I guess most HiMD nature recordists do,
you can toss the .oma files _provided_ you keep the wavs. You can
delete them in the SS library without deleting the wavs.

They are simply a copy of the data in your wavs, but in a proprietary
closed format. Of course, if you are recording compressed, then you do
get a space advantage storing the compressed .oma files.

If you keep the oma library you will be running out of space at twice
the rate you record, which is tough on a laptop in the field!