Re: - DIY shockmounts

Subject: Re: - DIY shockmounts
From: "tk7859" tk7859
Date: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:40 am (PDT)
--- In  Graham Evans <>
> 1 I made the main body of the shockmount a little bit too long
> 2 The 3" pipe is actually a little too small. You need a very tight
> rubber bands and too much work to prevent the NT4 grazing the
> gutter-gaurd. The designs of Robs students would have a tiny bit more
> room due to the gutter gaurd on the outside of the pipe but not much.
>
> I am trying to fashion a flared/ bulbous windshield section to solve 2
> and trying to source some more pipe to fix 1.
>
> At least my handle works well and the assembly can be unscrewed and
> attached to any new solutions.

Hi Graham and the Group

I had exactly the same design problems when figuring how to build my
NT4 shockmounts.

They were solved by going to 100mm (4" )diam pipe.  This pipe has many
types of joints/couuplings which the pipe fits into.  I bought a "T"
junction and cut of the joint bits.  With judicious use of glasspaper
the joint slips tightly over the pipe.  The joints are the grey bits
in the photos in the "NT4 Windshield album" at

m("btinternet.com/my_photos","//uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/g0sbw");">http:

This allows the rubber bands to be fitted at the front of the pipe and
the windshield  to fit over them as it slide fits onto the joint.

I found there was still a little wind noise with the dead cat and the
 foam windshield.  The addition of the nylon sock under the dead cat
helped a lot but some wind noise is still evident in reasonably windy
situations.  I'm toying with the idea of making an innner guard - the
reverse of your bulb idea.  The use of 100mm pipe gives me enough room
but its a bit of a puzzle how to fit it effectively.  Beware, 100mm
pipe makes for a large shockmount.

I have fashioned a third set of rubber band mounts on the rear if the
cutout pipe to allow for different lengths of mic in the future.

Cheers

Tom Robinson