Re: - DIY shockmounts

Subject: Re: - DIY shockmounts
From: "Graham Evans" grayboodle
Date: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:53 pm (PDT)
> Re: [Nature Recordists] - DIY shockmounts
>
> I am curious - with all of these home brew pipe shockmounts I've seen
> pictured recently, doesn't the presence of the pipe right at the pickup
> end of the mic give reflections and coloration to the sound? It looks
> like putting the mic inside, well, a pipe, or tunnel!
>
> If I were building such a device - and I have in the past - I would
> keep the pipe pieces at least one-third of the way back from the
> diaphragms, so they are picking up in free space and not peeking out
> from inside a pipe....
>
> Maybe someone can experiment with recording with the business end of
> the mic out from the pipe and putting back nearly inside the pipe and
> see if there is a coloration of the sound....
>
> <L>
>
> Lou Judson =95 Intuitive Audio
> 415-883-2689

Yes I was trying to keep the capsules away from the pipe but have a slip
on front windscreen section. Probably from seeing the photos of the
Rycotes. I'm not sure the two goals are acheivable with the way my
design is currently working. But being able to assemble without much
fiddling is important to me.

I also have some other problems:

1 I made the main body of the shockmount a little bit too long
2 The 3" pipe is actually a little too small. You need a very tight
rubber bands and too much work to prevent the NT4 grazing the
gutter-gaurd. The designs of Robs students would have a tiny bit more
room due to the gutter gaurd on the outside of the pipe but not much.

I am trying to fashion a flared/ bulbous windshield section to solve 2
and trying to source some more pipe to fix 1.

At least my handle works well and the assembly can be unscrewed and
attached to any new solutions.

More pics soon...

Graham