Re: Parabolic dish sources in UK ?

Subject: Re: Parabolic dish sources in UK ?
From: "David Harris" g8ina
Date: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:05 pm (PDT)
Thanks for those pointers guys, I had seen the Telinga and the "Poor
mans" already. Perhaps I should have said "cheap" parabolic dish :)
There is no way I could afford a Telinga dish, even without the mic !

The poormans Telinga is a nice option, but not parabolic, so would be
a bit fuzzy on focus. I've had a try in ebay to get a solid back
caravan portable satellite dish. No, it isn't not transparent, but
with a hybrid parabolic/Cassegrain design it has very good focus. I
was beaten at GBP26 for my first go, so I'll keep my eyes open.

In the meantime, I've been looking at woks, colanders, plastic salad
bowls etc... Just to while away the time really as non of them make
anything like a good solution - Therefore I will also pass on the
funnel approach :-)  My MP3 player (iRiver H120, 20GB) even with a
simple Shure M58 gives me very nice quality sounds, esp if I use WAV
instead of MP3 recording. I also have 5-6 other mics to try out,
including an electret stereo single point, a stereo pair of dynamics,
and a sub min electret which I use for my Bodhran.

Perhaps I'll try a better quality shotgun mic instead of going dish.
I've been offered an anonymous model of Sennheiser, and I'm just
waiting for a confirmation of model and price.

Thanks again,
Hols for 2 weeks soon, so dont think Im ignoring any further ideas !

David Harris
www.harrisphotography.co.uk

--- In  Klas Strandberg <>