Bruce's Stereo Array test (was The right stereo setup

Subject: Bruce's Stereo Array test (was The right stereo setup
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:24 am (PDT)
At 12:33 AM -0400 6/24/06, Walter Knapp wrote:
>I think I could design support blocks that would hold my MKH-80's in
>the correct position in a highly modified SASS housing. But it would
>still be a failure. The side address
>diaphragms would be a very wide gap away from the boundary. There is
>also the matter of the symmetrical push pull diaphragm they use. The
>diaphragm is buried inside dual backplates and so isolated from edge
>coupling. Even removing the mic from the housing would probably not
>provide good enough boundary coupling. And I'm not taking apart my
>MKH-80's to try.
>
>I doubt you can do any boundary mic setup with the MKH-80's or
>MKH-800's, which are in mechanical design nearly identical.

Good point. I also couldn't find any experiments where others have
tried MKH-800's in a boundary-like application. This may also
compromise Curt's boundary (sic) design.  I guess we could align the
MKH-800 capsules in each mic facing up and down-- that is-- parallel
to the planes of the wooden boards when we strap them on and then try
perpendicular to see what that does. The mannequin head might slip
lower on the list unless someone comes up a promising approach to
include.

To clarify, I wrote that, "small diaphragm mics like MKH-800's or
MKH-80's in a more remote location could be more definitive." -- not
that the proposed test under discussion would be definitive.  Will
even a couple of the observations and questions raised following
Bruce's first test be perceived again or will  everything remain just
as questionable?

Most field recordists can only experiment with one stereo set-up at a
time and it takes many trips into the field with the same set-up in
order to sufficiently grasp its strengths and weaknesses. Those eager
to get started with this process receive advice in writing and I see
no harm in providing access to comparative listening tests. I'm all
for bold disclaimers.

If someone's personal investigation into stereo micing options stops
at their first choice, whether based on listening or written advice,
people usually jump in to suggest other options. If comparative tests
or advice encourage persons to buy mics that prove to be
unsatisfactory, they have the same avenue to voice complaints, and
often, describe the shortcomings. If they ready to move along to
other mics, the new/resale price differences of the mics we generally
talk about are about the same as one day's rental. Rob D.

--

"Microphones are not ears,
Loudspeakers are not birds,