Re: best binaural mics?

Subject: Re: best binaural mics?
From: "beppopatina"
Date: Mon May 22, 2006 10:34am(PDT)
--- In  "derek holzer" <> wrote:

> I'd like some feedback on the different mics that people use out there fo=
> headmounted binaural/semi-binaural recording. The main contenders seem to
> be (in order of cost):
>
> Shure WL-183 [USD 500 ???]
> Sonic Studios DSM-1 [USD 600 ???]
> Core Sound High End Binaurals [USD 900 ???]
>
> Any plusses or minuses for each that I should note? My criteria here woul=
> be:
>
> 1) Sensitivity
> 2) Self-noise
> 3) Vulnerability to wind/movement/handling noise
> 4) Stereo image
> 5) Field ruggedness
> 6) Capable of running on Phantom Power?

Hi Derek,
Let me start by saying  that I haven't heard any of the mics that you you m=
ention...
However , I've done a lot of research into what i would like to buy if i ha=
d the money.
Hands down would be the DPA4061, which are used in the Core Sound highend b=
inaural,
but are also available from DPA, terminated in DPA's proprietary system, th=
e micro dot.
Coresound removes these and terminates to stereo mini.  DPA has transformer=
/adapter
thingies which will allow use in phantom powered xlr configuration. The mic=
s don't use 48
volts and the transformer steps down to a useable voltage. If using the mic=
rodots, DPA
offers battery boxes and preamps.

The DPA's supposedly are sonically comparable to their larger condenser mic=
s, which are
very highly regarded and very expensive. As the 4061's are designed for the=
atre/broadcast
use they are very robust and not prone to handling noise. Self noise is pro=
bably the only
downside to these mics. About 28db I think. The Shure's are better in this =
regard about
22db and the small mics made by telinga better yet, about 13db. The Sonic S=
tudio's are in
the low 30's I believe. The Shures also are available with transformers tha=
t will allow 48volt
xlr phantom powering. I think these are called MX-183. These are popular on=
 this site and
only their handling of very loud sources seems to be an issue. Sonically, t=
hough the DPA's
seem to be as good as it gets for lavolier mics.

Another option is using conventional SDC capsules with special cables/power=
 supplies
such as those offered by Shoeps, DPA and Neumann. Basically, the cap is sep=
erated from
the body by a length of cable. the body then attaches to the preamp by xlr =
in the
conventional matter. I think the whole thing is called an active system and=
 is discussed in
great length at taperssection.com.

Personally I use binaural omni's made by Church Audio here in Canada. Chris=
 Church
makes mics/preamps/battery boxes of very good quality and cheap.

His ebay store is
http://stores.ebay.ca/CHURCH-AUDIO_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm

Also Sound Professionals.com sells a lot of binaural style mics, mostly var=
ious Audio
Technica models. these are very popular with the concert taping crowd and s=
ome models
have interchangeable caps.
Hope this helps
Cheers,