Re: best binaural mics?

Subject: Re: best binaural mics?
From: "Graham Evans"
Date: Tue May 23, 2006 8:16pm(PDT)
> Beyond that, and perhaps as a new topic: I've started to feel that
even
> distracting background noise sounds better (and  is less
distracting)
> if the recording is stereo than if mono. If this is a generally
> accepted perception (?) I'd be interested in learning  anyone's
theories
> about why people hear/feel that way.

Commonly observed - the effect has even acquired its own name - the
cocktail party effect

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocktail_party_effect

I'm not sure if the annoying nature of mono sound (especially through
earphones) is solely due to this effect but I am prepared to be convinced.

What sort of (stereo) post-processing would anyone suggest to treat two
monophonic voice tracks (interviewer and interviewee), other than the
obvious meaure of seperating the two sources by moving them slightly off
centre in different directions.  I am using audacity.  A hint of stereo
reverb might help - but I am recording the voices outdoors so won't want
too much of this.

Thanks for all the advice on the lav mics.  I think I will order a set
of E55B's.

Bernie and Kevin and anyone else who can help:
With outdoor use of these mics what sort of wind protection do you
recommend?

Graham