Re: best binaural mics?

Subject: Re: best binaural mics?
From: "derek holzer"
Date: Sun May 21, 2006 7:37am(PDT)
Hi Mark,

Mark R. wrote:

> Panasonic WM 61 capsules:  DIY with this link *( *
> http://webpages.charter.net/tidmarsh/binmic/ ) and save several
> hundred...Aaron Ximm used to give out a recipe for DIY windscreens...mayb=
> we can stir him up or you can do a search on past topics.

Yes, I've already built a pair of DIY binaurals. They remain one of my
favorite mics, and I've done hours of recording with them but they have
their downsides. They have a very high output level, but also a very high
level of self-noise. To get a good recording out of them requires a lot of
post-production to get rid of hiss and rumble. Maybe I used cheap cables
(OK, well not even "maybe"), so I get a lot of movement noise as well. I
also want to be able to plug something right into my SD 722 without going
through a battery box and the extra noise it can add, thus the request for
Phantom Power.

Basically, I'm trying to upgrade from my homemade ones and I'm willing to
spend a bit to get some high quality, low noise mics with a good image. So
the contenders remain DPA 4060/4061s, Core Sound High End Binaurals (which
use the DPA capsules), Sonic Studios DSM-1s or Shure WL-183s.

best,
d.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl